Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Letter to My Sister from Paris

Gregory here
Ok so I have not been anywhere near as good about posting as I would have liked this year.  I just seem to not like writing.  I hope in time to get better at getting my thoughts down.  I have been told I am lazy and impatient (I need a more positive way to say this by the way.)  It is difficult to write when your brain jumps from thought to thought so quickly.  This post was inspired by a note from my sister who asked about my trip and how it was going.  The thoughts seemed to flow forth - I can only assume that is because I was telling someone who really wanted to know and also it was someone I really wanted to tell.  I am not sure what that means but enjoyed the results.  I hope you do too.


Kim: Greg, how are you/where are you? can't believe you're 3/4 into your journey!

Gregory: As for the trip, I am almost overwhelmed with the desire to see and experience more.  CouchSurfing seems to provide the best experiences.  And extremely similar to GlobeAware, in the opportunities to be part of peoples lives and get to know people from the area.

I have always been fascinated by the pattern of roots and trees.


And now, I am starting to see the natural patterns in the growing natural world (lightening, water, even in fire in Costa Rica still looking for wind) and I am desiring to see the way that same natural pattern applies to humans.  I believe this is what Uncle Robert does - applying behaviors to data and relating that to bell curves looking for patterns and especially things that fall out of that pattern.  This Pattern is what I see existence to be.


I have not done as much studying as you, more importantly I have not retained what I have read.  I have seen a difference in what I feel is expressed.  The Yin and Yang/Positive and Negative/Good and Bad.  I do not see any of these as truth, there is only the Creative and Receptive.


It is all things.  So many people get lost in trying to prove whether or not we are alone in the universe. Just as the small part is a representation of the whole in so many growing things so are we to the universe.  We are not alone we are just a finger or a sensual receptor of the universe.  The whole is just so big we feel disconnected from it(if we could see the feet and the hands at the same time maybe).  I think the social sites, like MySpace and FaceBook, are evolving to fill in the separateness.  To attempt to feel more connected and aware of what is going on in the world.  To try and give us all a better chance at knowing what is going on so we can be driven to take part - to contribute - to effect the whole.  GlobeAware is definitely one of those programs.  A chance for people to get out of the house, out of their normal work/sleep/eat pattern and to have a new cultural experience. To share a another way of looking at life and in turn appreciate the life they have already.

I wish I had the knowledge retention you seem to possess.  Have you come across another male that has the same level of knowledge retention as you do?

Rebecca and several other woman that I have dated have had exceptional knowledge retention.  It is very possible I have not gotten to know as many males as females.  The minutia in knowing themselves seems greater in women.  A few males I know seem to be able to call upon knowledge from many different sources internal and external.  I can only assume this stems from so many males focusing on doing rather than feeling ( to provide in order to be loved).  I know I come across some extremely amazing moments and knowledge kernels that seem to inspire a sense of wonder and knowing but I seem to lack the ability to be able to hold on to it and apply that to other parts of my life.

I can not tell you how much I have loved this trip.  The largest and most important aspect being the removal of myself from all influential people and places in my life and allow myself to have my time.  I am realizing more and more the things that make me happy and the things that keep me driven.  I may not have a house, I may not have a wife or a child and maybe someday, I will.  But I am not going to try and plan these things out.  I work towards the things I need and want everyday.

Over the past several years I have pulled further away from being tolerant of listening to the present state of world affairs.  Part of this has been my personal test to see if it takes an active ability to stay connected in todays connected society.  Part of this is my own dislike of the time required to stay involved as it takes so much time from the things I really want to do, to actually experience life not just read about it.  I know that each one of us has to pay attention to our needs and realize if our desires are too much.

My woodworking instructor told me the way to be happy seems to be
To Make Something
To Cook Something
To Grow Something

Also, just the other day on a TED talk, (happy planet index) I learned of another way to work towards happiness.  I really like this one.  I am thinking about putting this on a serving bowl to be used at the dinner table.  And in this same vein, I am also considering using it as a fund raiser, which at a certain donation level you receive a hand painted pottery bowl with these happiness principles.  It would certainly support the first step...
1. Connect - to those you love and love you
2. Be Active - get out of the house
3. Take notice - of yourself and what is going on around you
4. Keep Learning - stay curious
5. Give - give back in a way you can to those around you

In short, this trip has changed the way I look at life.  I do not know where my life will lead but I know now that whatever happens is the right thing to happen.  There is no coincidence - only serendipity.

I seem to feel better about myself when I am able to get my thoughts written/typed down.  It allows for the connection/s to grow with myself and those who read my words.  Which would be step number one on this last method of pursuing happiness.

Love,
your Brother


*****
SO a touch scatter brained but it is on paper - or screen
On another wonderful side note this is a TED Talk that we seem to discuss again and again on this trip.
The Riddle of Experience Vs. Memory

4 comments:

  1. awesome way to pull it together :)
    I loved it!

    Circe

    ReplyDelete
  2. greggy, your mind is wonderful. you may not retain the factoids, my friend, but you clearly master the meaning. everyday, gratitude. everyday gratitude. fun fun fun! xoxox love from the mann fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for sharing your grand adventure with those that cannot go with you. Love and Kisses to both of you!

    ReplyDelete